Monday, April 26, 2010

Last call: Anglophiles Unite's final broadcast

My BFF Kayley K is wrapping up a four-year radio run tonight with the final Anglophiles Unite broadcast on Emerson WECB Radio, www.wecb.com. All things Britpop all the time, it's been a great run and was very important to me for several Monday nights during the doldrums winter, a show full of knowledge and insight and King Adora. While I disagree with her assessment below that the songs never properly reached certain crushes, AU was a great source of the UK's rock heyday and properly carried on that Emerson tradition like David Virr's British Accents show before it.

Kayley's sendoff, from her In The Shadowplay blog: Uniting the Anglophiles One Last Time

Tomorrow night, I will do the final edition of my radio show, Anglophiles Unite. The show debuted in the spring semester of my freshman year at Emerson. I've done it every semester since then, usually in the 8-10PM time slot on whatever night best suited my schedule at the time.

I only had a co-host on a few occasions: when Victoria would join me for the all Smiths/Moz edition of the show called Shoplifters Unite or when one of my radio friends would drop by and hang out with me in the studio for a while. Otherwise, the show was all me. It truly was my baby. I put my heart and soul into each episode.

When I started the show, I always included an ode to my hometown of Murfreesboro, TN by playing one of my friends' bands. The longer I stayed in Boston and further I grew from my old scene, that segment disappeared. I used to do "Anglophile Dance Parties," in which I'd play 30 or 40 minutes worth of straight Britpop dance music. That also fell by the wayside.

My love life is always in shambles, and the play lists of my show always seemed to reflect that. When I was desperately crushing on a guy, I would pray that he was tuning in and play songs just for him. Of course, this never worked, even though at the time I thought playing "Girl Afraid" and "Ask" by the Smiths back-to-back was genius.

I got choked up making the play list, so I'm sure I'll cry on air tomorrow night when I sign off of WECB for the final time. That organization was my home at Emerson for four years. I can't believe that it's all coming to an end.


1 comment: