Thursday, April 8, 2010

Hotline: Bear in Heaven's street hype

Oh Hotline, take me away!!!!! There’s so much great music coming out these days, it’s becoming easier and easier to take a chance on a band based on the recommendation of others.

Walking back to 6th Street after an outdoor Acid Mothers Temple show last month at SXSW, a girl I had just met was raving about this band she saw earlier in the day. They were called Bear in Heaven and she was certain I’d love them, too.

Between then and now Bear in Heaven slipped my mind. I had returned from Texas overflowing with music I actually heard, and didn’t have room in the mental tank for off-the-cuff name-dropping. I lose.

Tonight, the Brooklyn electronic-psych indie band is in town at the Middle East Down, and while Freelance Whales and Cymbals Eat Guitars have so far gotten most of the press and attention leading up to the gig, more than a few people might leave Central Square having their minds blown by this Bear in Heaven gang. Pitchfork is on board, too – the Bear’s recent album “Beast Rest Forth Mouth” scored an impressive 8.4. And the few songs that I have heard, well, they sound as advertised. This could be huge.

So yeah, roll the dice, check them out. This could be one of those “remember when…” type of shows. Doors are at 9 p.m., it’s 18-plus and tickets are $12. I’ll be by the bar. Here’s a Bear in Heaven taste...

No comments:

Post a Comment