Thursday, February 5, 2009

Lydon's butter face saves UK company

From my Herald blog: Never mind the butter, here's a Sex Pistol.

British newspaper the Guardian reported this week that sales of the UK's Country Life butter saw a sales increase of 85 percent after hiring former Pistol mouth and punk icon John Lydon to appear in the company's television ads.

"Lydon, once better known for sending chills down the spine of middle Englanders, now appears adept at sending them to the chiller cabinet," wrote Guardian scribe David Teather in Tuesday's edition.

The spiky-haired Lydon appears dressed in tweeds and goes on about how he loves the butter not because it's British, but "because (he) thinks it tastes the best."

Who needs a holiday in the sun when you have Rotten butter in the morning? Last year, Lydon defended his appearance in the $10 million ad campaign to the Guardian.

"People know I only do things that I want to or that I believe in and I have to do it my way," Lydon told the paper. "I've never done anything like this before and never thought I would, but this Country Life ad was made for me and I couldn't resist the opportunity."

File it under "God save the cow."

No comments:

Post a Comment