Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Eyes of Noctum (Weston Cage) @ O'Brien's


I had the pleasure of interviewing Weston Cage yesterday, the son of actor Nicolas Cage and frontman for black metal band Eyes of Noctum, who hit O'Briens Pub in Allston tonight. He doesn't discuss popa-dukes in interviews, but I loosened him up a bit, maybe because I know who Frederik Nordstom is.

Actor's son rattles Cage: In 1987, actor Nicolas Cage was “Raising Arizona.” Three years later, he began raising future underground black-metal singer Weston “Arcane” Cage .

The actor’s son with former girlfriend Christina Fulton, the now-18-year-old Cage rolls into Boston tonight with his band Eyes of Noctum . The abrasive California quintet plays O’Brien’s Pub in Allston alongside Closed Casket, Who Carries the Lantern and Bone Ritual.

Eyes of Noctum’s blistering sound doesn’t welcome casual curiosity seekers looking to catch a glimpse of celebrity kin.

“We don’t drag with us the essence of Hollywood,” the younger Cage told Hotline. “I have a dark maniacal side and sometimes I want to decimate every person in the room. But I also want to enlighten. We have a variety of different fans and get different reactions.”

Credit Cage for not starting some half-bit indie rock vanity project. He has cultivated his underground sound since he started playing Scandinavian-influenced metal five years ago.

“I’ve always had a certain sentiment in me I couldn’t define,” Cage said. “As a teenager, I gravitated toward more darker music.”

That gravitation led Eyes of Noctum to Sweden, where they worked with metal uber-producer Fredrik Nordstrom to complete their debut album, “Awakening.” While Cage wants to be judged on the merits of his music, he acknowledges his family’s history in the spotlight.

“I come from a lineage of great artists,” he said. “I just want to contribute to my genre and honor my family.”


No comments:

Post a Comment