Sunday, November 25, 2007

Nothing doing this Thanksgiving (and notes)


Ok, the Thanksgiving extended weekend is almost over and I couldn’t be happier. It’s been a strange past few days, experiencing the holiday by myself for the first time in 28 years of existence, and generally just reflecting on how great life was this time last year. I knew the Thanksgiving-Christmas season was going to fuck with me all sorts of ways, and if nothing I’m just glad Part I is over.

I’ve also come to the conclusion that people who shop at Petco alone on a rainy Tuesday night are the loneliest people on the planet. Random strangers, shopping for small furry creatures who love them more than any human ever has, trying to find a modicum of happiness in a relationship with four-legged animals. It didn’t exactly uplift my spirits, but it reinforced that I’m not the only one by myself these days.

So with that, I admit my Thanksgiving was pretty unremarkable, and possibly downright miserable. I enjoyed the rest, enjoyed the freedom, and Lola and I enjoyed some turkey (that took way too long to cook) but missed the entropic fun of the traditional family get-together. I’m heading to the Sunshine State for Christmas (and my birthday), so I reserve the right to change my opinion on Thanksgiving once the four-year-old mid-state town of Trinity has its way with me. But even then, there will be something of an escape to rest upon.

Other random shit:

My hockey jersey collection is 50+ strong, but nothing beats a game worn jersey, especially if it’s a game-worn from a dead Dallas Star who hanged himself amid rumors he thought he contracted HIV. (And in honor of my former copy editor Peg Finucane, RIP see below, I remind folks that pictures are hung, and people are hanged)

And somewhat related, a great find by Phil coming across a complete rundown of NHL players to die young.

A woman in Idaho was struck by lightning and instantly turned into Max Headroom.

I loathe few things as much as the Toronto Blue Jays’ black abortion jerseys, so if this alternate throwback design is coming in 2008, I’ll be wikkid psyched and my summers will once again be all rainbows and puppies. Reminds me of the Crime Dog.

Reports on largest bug ever. Alert the "Cloverfield" nerds.

Season ticket holders for the Edmonton Oilers donated their tickets to a weekend tilt to Canadian soldiers, and it looks like most took part.

1 comment:

  1. This year I realized that without a "guest" around my family's behavior degenerates into some cross between the Grizwolds and the Fishers. If this "you-solo, me-solo" circumstance arises again, I'm fucking kidnapping you.

    ReplyDelete