Thursday, October 18, 2007

Vanya killed the Radio Star / Randomness

I make my radio debut this Tuesday at 2 p.m., as I’ll be a guest on NPR’s WBUR 90.9 FM for a segment on local music. The show is called Here & Now, and I’ll be talking ragtime about the Boston Herald’s Rock the Hub online music tournament. An appearance on ‘BCN later in the week will follow. Cool shit.

Other random crap:

- Apparently the Blur reunion is off. From Blur's official site: "In light of recent press speculation, blur.co.uk would like to confirm that Alex, Damon, Dave and Graham met for an enjoyable lunch on Monday, but there are currently no other music plans for Blur."

- Now granted, I wasn’t paying full attention to the television, but last night I was watching the remarkably entertaining 50 Cent flick Get Rich or Die Tryin. (Quick Note: Anything that stars Simon Adebisi from Oz and the immortal Bill Duke gets Four Star treatment in my grade book). Anyway, about midway through, I flipped through the channels, and after about 15 minutes, went back to Get Rich. The only problem was that I stumbled on Hustle and Flow, and watched that for about 30 minutes until I realized I was watching a completely different fucking movie. Whoops.

- The Cleveland Plain Dealer asked fans to redesign the Indians uniforms, though it seems only 8 year olds got the memo. This, at the very least, bodes well for the future of journalism. We’re told no one under 45 even reads the newspaper. (Speaking of the Tribe, this ALCS is going back to Boston. Bet on it.)


- Who knew, Vol. 67: Did you know that Gremlins 2: The New Batch received three fucking stars? This was a three-star film in late’80s America.

- Ominous messages floating around about a possible return of Boston post-punk band Read Yellow. It seems this is no reunion, just the long-awaited news that their final album will finally get proper distribution. We’ll see.

- Can someone confirm that Spoon’s new single "The Underdog" sounds a lot like an old Billy Joel song?

4 comments:

  1. it totally sounds like Billy Joel. When I heard it on SNL I was surprised that they were doing a cover....OOOF

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's some weird fucking hybrid of Only the Good Die Young and that "say good to Hollywood" jam. Or something else, I dunno. You can't sneak a Billy Joel ripoff by this Long Islander.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael on the radio! Is TV next please?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This reminds me that I compared a Brett Rosenberg song to Billy Joel in a review ages ago, thinking he'd be deathly offended... and I found out he liked Billy Joel.

    ReplyDelete