Monday, October 22, 2007

King Richard's Faire, glass squids and Lord Pap


My first real "clean weekend" resulted in me feeling better than ever, and got my once-Elmered ass out of bed and into society. After last week’s emergency cancellation, I finally got down to King Richard’s Faire with Lady Riley of NH. I didn’t bring a camera, but it was just as ridiculous as I hoped it would be: knife throwing, arrow shooting and turkey leg gorging. And the drive down to the South Shore was therapeutic as well – it was the first time I’ve seen the leaves this season. Oh yeah, baseball has been epic, as well. Other things of note this weekend:

-- Scientists have found a glass squid in a remote underwater mountain area of the North Atlantic. Holy fuck. I don’t know if I want to stuff it with izm and smoke it or raise it to learn showtunes.

-- The MBTA, in all its infinite wisdom, is now pumping T Radio in subway stations at North and South Station and the Airport stop, with plans to expand to all stops (even the ghetto fabulous Orange line) by Thanksgiving. Now, before the excitement runs through your heads at the thought of hearing Bonnie Tyler or Bernie Higgins while chill-ackin’ on the Red Line, this will effectively kill off the T’s myriad street performers. If you don’t view these people as a societal scourge (and hey, Eli "Paperboy" Reed once did this in Harvard), sign the petition to stop it. Do this.

-- If we needed another reason why dried up llama flatuelence such as Van Halen should not reunite, check this out. Apparently the pre-recorded synth loop to “Jump” ran a bit too fast. Jesus these dudes are washed up.

-- What’s this? Oh, just Jonathan "Lord of the Dance" Papelbon dumping a can of Bud Light onto the American League Championship trophy. And people wonder why I love this city so much.

-- If anyone listens to NPR, listen to me discuss local music and other stuff on Boston’s WBUR 90.9 FM. I’ll be on at 2pm. Full report to follow. xo.

1 comment:

  1. If you had to ride the T an hour each way every day like I do, you'd be signing a petition for EVERYBODY to shut the fuck up. Including the radio, the yodeling vagrants with useless Berklee degrees, foreigners on cell phones and anyone from BU who thinks they're on an episode of The Hills. In fact, I vote we have silence police in the T, and if you make a noise, you get shot.

    ReplyDelete