Thursday, September 20, 2007

The NJ Devils make everything better


Just got home from the Devils preseason game against the bRuins up in Manchester. It was kinda surreal being at a bRuins game without being called a faggot by some drunken townie, and Verizon Arena is probably the best thing to happen to Manchester since the Rover opened.

As for the game, it was a fairly textbook 3-0 win. But we were without the services of Brodeur, Langenbrunner, Pandolfo, Madden and a few other regulars. However, I got a look at the new top line of Elias-Zubrus-Gionta, and I’m fucking psyched. Zubrus brings the same physical element that Arnott brought to the A-Line, and should clear a ton of room for the wings. Just seeing him on the ice was imposing, and an upgrade over our short stature last season.

David Clarkson is a fucking monster. He fights, hits and drives to the net. What a player, though they took away his 27 for a more rookie-fitting 48. Maybe this means the Devils will retire Scott Niedermayer’s number one day, who knows. But Clarkson must make the team (look at that face!). Vishnevsky comes as advertised: hits everything in sight, and gets caught out of position as a result. I think the goals came from Pelley, Rachunek and someone else, I forget.


Hockey season is back, and I’m fucking psyched. The Brent Sutter Era will be a fruitful one – he’s already got the guys playing with intensity. There’s a lot to like about the 2007-08 New Jersey Devils: a good mix of youth and veterans, a solid two scoring lines (with Parise-Zajac-Langs on the 2), a great checking line, a grinding 4th, and Marty in net. We don’t have a stud N. 1 D-man, though Martin isn’t that far away. Andy Greene should have a good season, too. Opening night can’t come soon enough.

As for the new Edge jerseys, I really couldn’t tell the difference, though the arms are clearly tighter and the back end flap looks like an untucked dress shirt. Then again, I was watching two of the best jerseys in the NHL tonight. I wish I didn’t despise the bRuins, they look really good in those throwback sweaters. And Tuukka Rask is going to be an All Star within four years. Unfortunately for Boston, it’ll probably be with another team.

More to come tomorrow, I’m exhausted. Just meeting the infamous Blue Eyed Devil took a lot out of me.

2 comments:

  1. Chinese.
    P.S. It's referred to as Manch-Vegas by us locals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Weird I didn't write ManchVegas, I was saying it all last night and the person I was with was getting freaked out by it. Oh Manchester, so much to answer for!

    ReplyDelete