Sunday, December 21, 2008

Michael on Allston eats

I just saw this, a few months after the fact, but I was quoted in the Phoenix in September about great food in the Allston area, and I hyped up Reef Cafe and S. Kiri. As is my life, Kiri is now closed. But I assure you, that dragon maki was indeed "off the chain." If I did this interview today, I'd still be all about Reef, but would also praise the shit out of Privus' sushi.

Marotta is wild about chicken shawarma from Reef Cafe (170 Brighton Avenue, Allston, 617.202.6366), served alongside its own creamy garlic sauce and pickle spears for the plate version ($9.95). Crisp cucumber, tomato and parsley salad counters the salty, marinated chicken.

"There's nothing like it in Allston, and that's saying a lot given the wealth of international food options,” he says.

Around the corner in the old Tokyo City spot is pan-Asian outlet Suvarnabhumi Kiri (90-92 Harvard Avenue, Allston, 617.562.8888), where Marotta calls spider maki ($10.50 for four pieces) “off the chain.” Satisfying pops of flying fish roe counter meaty hunks of fried soft-shell crab and creamy avocado, making this a wise stop.

No comments:

Post a Comment