Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Russia to outlaw "emo" and "goth" music, culture and style: kids now more sad

I always said that I was thankful I graduated high school before Columbine, because walking around in fishnets, makeup and shredded Skinny Puppy t-shirts was hard enough before Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris suddenly made "freak culture" a violent one.

But WTF City, this is just some next-level, 1984-type shit right here, and I'm thankful I'm too old to get all My Chemical Romance on Putin's rock-solid ass: Russia to outlaw emo.

Pouting, piercings and Pete Wentz may soon be illegal in Russia. The Russian government is in the process of drafting a law to make emo and goth music illegal, says the Moscow Times.

"State Duma deputies, Public Chamber members and social conservatives have hammered out legislation aimed at heading off the spread of emo culture, which they describe as a 'dangerous teen trend.'


Interestingly, when I was in St. Petersburg in 2004, I bought a bootleg HIM album (dont. fucking. ask.) from an underground subway stand. It's good to see there are no copyright laws in the motherland, but soon listening to the Sisters of Mercy are grounds for exile to Siberia. Dominion, indeed!

1 comment: