Monday, February 4, 2008

Patriots lose, I blame the Globe

Damn. So I'll admit to never really being a big pro football fan, though since I moved to Boston in 2000 I have taken to the Patriots for two simple reasons: 1) they were just getting awesome, and shit went to a new level with the arrival of my boyfriend, erm, I mean new QB Tom Brady, and 2) as a native NYer, the Pats were really the only team I could root for (I hate basketball, screw the Bruins and growing up a Yankee fan, I respect the rivalry too much to ever openly root for the Red Sox despite my wanting to see "Boston," as a city, win).

So yesterday was a monumental disappointment on several levels. I had never invested so much in each week of a football season, and compounded by the New England Vs the U.S. shit (from SpyGate to the Pats' arrogance to the widespread hatred of Brady, Rodney, et all) and the riveting subplot of "Perfection," this was a letdown of epic proportions.

So who to blame? Brady, for playing like shit? Josh McDaniels, for getting raped by the Giants' relentless D? Asante Samuel, for not corralling that would-be interception late in the 4th? Belichick, for wearing RED instead of his trademark gray?

No, blame the Boston Globe, for this abortion-in-print:

6 comments:

  1. worst game ever...still bummed out pretty hard today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I blame Menino and his bloody parade scheduling. Hubris.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just overheard that the Herald had a ton of Special Sections ready to roll today and tomorrow, all related to "19-0." All that work, out the window. For the Pats and everyone else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I heard gunshots at one point, but yes, it was mad quiet on the usually rambunctious streets of Allston's Union Square.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those gunshots were fireworks. Because, you know, that makes sense.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, Vanyaland has officially *made it*

    ReplyDelete